10 Restaurants you must try in Playa del Carmen
Known for its palm-lined beaches and stunning coral reefs, Playa del Carmen is one of the most visited cities in Quintana Roo. Surrounded by authentic Mexican culture and some of the best hospitality in Mexico, there’s a long list of exciting activities and attractions to see and do when in the area. It’s impossible not to be impressed with the beautiful scenery, architecture and culture you’ll find in the city we know and love.
Whether you’re a permanent resident or just visiting for a short time, there’s one thing everyone can agree on – the delicious food Playa del Carmen has to offer. Dive into everything from high-end eateries to quick bite dives with this helpful list of the best restaurants to satisfy your appetite.
What better way to experience Playa del Carmen than to eat where the locals eat?
- Chiltepin Marisquillos – A fusion of land and sea, the dishes are prepared with fresh ingredients and offer large portions that are perfect for sharing. This restaurant has an exotic menu with a local feel that visitors love.
- Zitla – Enjoy a delicious dinner in a casual setting surrounded by the murals of local artists. The servers are very attentive and love offering great suggestions. Zitla offers great tacos, fun drinks and exceptional ceviche!
- Madrez Café – Experience the best breakfast in town at Madrez Café! The menu is extensive and will accommodate a wide variety of eaters. Try the waffles, they’re the best!
- Coco’s Cabanas – Pizza in Mexico? Yes! This fun, outdoor restaurant serves up a fusion of Italian specialties and Mexican cuisine. Owned and operated by a family that believes in making you feel like family every time you visit makes each meal at Coco’s extra special.
IN AND OUT
If you need to grab a quick bite but you’re not willing to sacrifice quality, these restaurants are for you.
- La Cochi-loka – This quick, simple taco stand is open 24 hours a day and is favorited by all who visit. Watch your food be cooked in front of you and experience exceptional service and really affordable prices. Don’t forget to add the pickled onions!
- Asadero el Pollo – Looking for the best barbecue chicken in town? This hidden gem is nothing fancy, but the food is quick, flavorful and never dry.
- Taqueria el Fogon – Craving some authentic Mexican cuisine on your lunch break? This taco spot will leave you ready to go back for more. There’s usually a line (that tells you that the food is good), but it moves pretty quickly. You can even enjoy a cold beer and live local music.
SUIT AND TIE
Looking for a fancier atmosphere to celebrate a special occasion or enjoy a romantic date night? These fine dining restaurants offer delicious food and beautiful, intimate atmospheres.
- Harry’s Grill – You won’t believe the exquisite detail that goes into plating every meal at Harry’s. With a menu offering some of the best cuts of meat and most exotic seafood in the world, you won’t want to miss the opportunity to dine here. And trust us, you’ll want to save room for dessert!
- Oh Lala! – Offering personalized service in a modernly decorated setting, Oh Lala! is a local favorite. Their menu features exceptional cuts of beef and seafood and the plating looks too good to eat. Seating is very limited, so be sure to book your table in advance!
- Pavo Real by the Sea – This restaurant offers a breathtaking oceanfront view on Maroma Bay accompanied by a turquoise pool and tropical garden. A seasonal menu promises fresh, updated offerings (including seafood caught from a reef just offshore!) with an extensive wine list and craft beer selection.
These restaurants are just the beginning of what Playa del Carmen has to offer you. Contact us today to find out more about the area, we’re happy to help you get acquainted and comfortable in this beautiful city!